Sunday, January 23, 2011

Identity: Are You Really Yourself?

New year, new term and new blog. I'm not new to the growing industry of blogging. In fact I have another account here in blogspot that is about myself. This blog will cater to the things happening in our society that will then leads to the discovery of how politics and culture are intertwined.

Culture has been present in our society way back the discovery of the Philippines. Our ancestors have their own culture and that makes their identity. Last meeting in our class, we are given the question what is your identity and I come to a point where I realize that I don't even know what's my identity. Silly stuffs come to my mind like: I love eating exotic foods, run around the house naked when no one is around, drink soda before going to bed and etcetera. 
Identity basically is who you are and what defines yourself as being.



Here are random facts about me:

 Let's start with my name. My given name was Kimberly Soriano Arevalo and my parents told me that they did get my name from a tissue company named Kimberly-Clark. I like my name though it came from a tissue but I don't like being called Kimberly since it was too girly for me. I'd prefer to be called Kim.




 I'm the only girl and only child of my parents. In our society, there is a stereotype that being the only child means that you are spoiled and gets anything and everything you want under the sun. This statement is so untrue to my personality. My parents raised me not to become one and instead they taught me how to earn for the things I wanted like for example last Christmas I've been asking my parents for a new phone but they didn't even give me one instead they gave me a condition that if I was able to have good grades then they'll buy me one.








I love traveling and photography at the same time. Whenever I'm traveling, I see to it that I got my camera ready. By the way, I'm using Canon 500D in photography. I'm kind of new to the photography business but as I hold my buddy (camera) I'm learning a lot. I love taking candid photos and nature as well and I like how God's creation is perceived through my eyes. Traveling for me is like an addiction that is hard to control. I love going to the beach despite the fact that it's kinda cloudy or about to rain. I love going to historical places such as Vigan, Fort Santiago and the like. 




All of us have our unique identities and we are born to our very own names, characteristics and etcetera. Our identities made up who we are now and what we would like in the future. As for being a Filipino, there are many traits and culture that I would say that will definitely make me proud of. Looking back in our history, we have a wide array of culture. This month, our country have celebrated the Feast of Sto. NiƱo and different places around the country made their own colorful way of celebrating it. Identity and culture go hand in hand in making who we really are.


This is me. I'm proud of who I am and I'll continue discovering what's inside me.




Lots of Love,
Kim ♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment